How does it cool?
Climate Wizard is an indirect evaporative air conditioner and works by using the natural cooling power of evaporation to dramatically reduce air temperature. The manner in which this evaporation takes place is the secret to Climate Wizard's superformance.
A world patented, high efficiency, full counter-flow water-to-air heat exchanger produces very cold air. The cold air produced by Climate Wizard can be equivalent to that produced by refrigerated systems, with temperatures that approach the ambient dew-point temperature. The air delivered into the building is cold and has no added moisture.
The entering cold air removes the heat within the building and is then exhausted to the atmosphere.
This is how it works:
- There are dry channels and wet channels, alternating throughout the heat exchanger core
- All of the air passes along the dry channels and gains no additional moisture
- The portion of the air that returns along the wet channels, does gain moisture, because the channels are continuously soaked with water. This moist air is then exhausted outside of the building
- No moisture is transferred across the membranes between the dry and wet channels; only temperature (heat) is transferred
- The heat passes out of the air in the dry channel through the membrane and into the air passing through the wet channel
- In this way, the dry channel becomes progressively colder but gains no moisture. The dry, cool air then passes into the building
The psychrometric chart shows the results of Climate Wizard cooling technology at a range of temperatures:
Consider fresh air entering the cooler at 30°C (86°F) dry-bulb and about 38% relative humidity. If the cooler is a direct evaporative air cooler, the fresh air passes directly through the wet cooling pad where it becomes cool and also moist, and emerges at about 23°C (73°F) dry-bulb and 82% relative humidity. The process has travelled along the wet-bulb line and the air has gained about 3.5 grams/kg (dry air) of moisture.
If the cooler is an indirect evaporative air cooler, the fresh air passes through the dry channel where it is super-cooled and emerges at about 19°C (66°F). But, no moisture has been added as the cooling process has occurred along the constant moisture line. The 'wet-bulb effectiveness' of Climate Wizard is about 125%, whereas regular direct air coolers have a wet-bulb effectiveness of about 85%.